Late last night, the Atlanta City Council approved airport concessions contracts worth more than $3 billion over the next decade, a deal they say is the largest in the history of North American aviation. The 12-3 vote came after almost nine hours of a meeting that grew heated, leading Mayor Kasim Reed to defend the city's drawn-out selection process. Among the 150 food and beverage and retail sites approved for Hartsfield-Jackson Atlanta International Airport: The Varsity, Shane's Rib Shack, Willy's Mexicana Grill, Sweet Georgia's Juke Joint, and Ludacris' Chicken & Beer (the latter causing much media ruckus). Mayor Reed is expected to sign the legislation quickly in order to keep the international terminal on track for opening this spring. For the current list of the best places to eat at Hartsfield-Jackson, do check out the Eater Atlanta dining guide.
· Airport Contracts Send City Council Into Overtime [AJC]
· Council Approves $3B Atlanta Airport Concessions Package [ABC]
· Ludacris to Open 'Chicken & Beer' Restaurant at ATL Int'l Airport [WNA]
· Ludacris Opening 'Chicken & Beer' Restaurant In ATL Airport [MTV]
· All previous Hartsfield-Jackson coverage on Eater Atlanta [-EATL-]