Well, the government shut down last night after Congress was unable to come to an agreement over a funding bill. This means many people are out of work, including CDC employees and others here in Atlanta. As a result, restaurants are offering discounts to the furloughed employees; these are rounded up below. This list will be updated as needed, so do check back and leave intel in the comments or via the tipline if you know of other places running specials. Also: Know someone in Washington? Send 'em to Eater DC's extensive list of furlough deals.
These deals are available currently.
· Monday through Thursday, Holy Taco will extend a 10% discount to furloughed federal government employees with ID at the bar all day. Details. [Added 10/7/13]
1314 Glenwood Avenue, Atlanta; (404) 230-6177
· Noni's Deli is offering 20% off for furloughed government employees with valid government ID for the duration of the shutdown. Details.
357 Edgewood Ave SE, Atlanta; (404) 343-1808.
· Red Pepper Taqueria in Buckhead and North Druid Hills and Roswell's Coldbrews Sports Bar & Grill offer 15% off to government employees all day, every day. Bring your ID.
Coldbrews: 880 Holcomb Bridge Road, Roswell; (678) 639-7297. Find Red Pepper locations here.
These deals were offered but are no longer available.
· With valid government ID, of-age furloughed employees can get free tours of SweetWater Brewing from 5:30 p.m. to 7:30 p.m. tomorrow, Wednesday, October 2. Details.
195 Ottley Dr NE, Atlanta; (404) 691-2537.
· Electric Cowboy in Kennesaw will offer free cover to all government employees this week, through Saturday, October 5. This includes military personnel, fire and rescue teams, and veterans. With ID, of course. Details.
1750 N Roberts Rd NW, Kennesaw, (770) 420-1565.
· During tonight's Church Organ Karaoke, Sister Louisa's Church of the Living Room & Ping Pong Emporium will give furloughed government employees a free Fireball Whiskey shot and a free "fuck fear" lapel pin upon presentation of valid ID. Karaoke, featuring T. T. Mahony on the organ, runs from 10 p.m. to 2 a.m. Details.
466 Edgewood Ave SE, Atlanta; (404) 522-8275.
· Taqueria del Mar is offering free cheese dip with any purchase to furloughed employees with valid government ID. Details. [Valid 10/1/13 only]
5075 Peachtree Parkway #105 A, Peachtree Corners.
· All Shutdown Coverage [-EATL-]