There's been a lot of excitement surrounding the opening of Better Half, the hotly anticipated brick-and-mortar restaurant from Cristina and Zach Meloy of supper club PushStart Kitchen. The restaurant starts serving tonight in Home Park— head down to learn more and scope the menu or visit the website to make a reservation.
1) The chefs: Joining Zach Meloy in the kitchen is Jonathan Miller, previously of JCT Kitchen, Woodfire Grill, and Cakes & Ale.
2) The menu: Better Half's menu has thirteen total dishes and is divided into three sections. Offerings will rotate often, but the vegetarian handkerchief pasta that Zach cooked for now-wife Cristina on their first date will always remain.
3) The seating: Better Half will accommodate 42 total, with ten stools at the bar and 32 reservable seats.
4) The decor: Diners familiar with PushStart Kitchen will recognize plates, bowls, and other assorted goods that have made their way from the supper club to the restaurant, and the table tops and bar all come from the reclaimed wood of a tree that fell near Lenox.
5) The robot: Ask GM Cristina Meloy or a server for some of the funny guest stories about the robot mural on the back wall; it came to be after Zach, who's also an artist, started to paint a bird motif in line with the restaurant's logo and ultimately decided that he wanted to go robot instead.
6) The name: The name of the Meloys' restaurant in Costa Rica was Media y Naranja, which literally means "half an orange" but is used to mean "your better half." There's half an orange in the robot mural in honor of the Costa Rican restaurant.
7) The crowdfunding: The PushStart Kitchen team successfully used Kickstarter to crowdfund the opening of this restaurant.
8) The drinks: The beverage selection includes beer and wine, no spirits.
9) The parking situation: There's free street parking on the side streets off of 14th. Try State Street first.
10) The special hours: Normally closed on Sundays and Mondays, Better Half will be open for dinner tonight and next Monday, December 23, to accommodate eager diners. See full hours below.
Open Tuesday through Thursday 5:30 p.m. to 10 p.m., Friday and Saturday 5:30 p.m. to 11 p.m. Closed Sunday and Monday; 349 14th Street, Building C, Atlanta. (404) 695-4547.
—Matthew Wong contributed to this post.
· Better Half [Official Site]
· All Better Half Coverage [-EATL-]