The holidays are quickly approaching, and chances are there will be someone following a gluten-free diet at a festive gathering. No need to panic, because Atlanta's gluten-free bakeries and their goodies (sweet and savory) are here to save the day and make guests feel included in the holiday fun.
All of these bakeries produce their gluten-free goodies in dedicated environments, so cross contact with wheat isn't an issue. In addition to being free of gluten, many of these bakeries offer goodies that are free of dairy, soy, nuts, and eggs. No time to drive to said bakery? Then shop for wholesale gluten-free baked goods at multiple retail locations.
Dedicated gluten-free bakeries:
- 2B Whole Gluten-Free European Bakery just opened in a new space in Alpharetta and is a soy- and peanut-free environment (almonds on site) with vegan and Paleo options. Its offerings are unlike others in metro Atlanta because they include pita bread, baguettes, focaccia, flatbreads, and calzones. Try their lemon bars and candy bar blondies for an extra special treat.
- American Gra-Frutti's retail store is located in Roswell, but its baked goods, including shelf-stable products, can be found at Whole Foods throughout the Southeast. It is known for its inventive products, such as cheese straws, graham crackers, snack mixes, and fruit cake. Its new line of Bubble Bread mixes is a first-to-market product requiring only an egg and 12 ounces of carbonated beverage to produce a hearty loaf of bread, bread sticks, or rolls.
- Gluten Free Cutie started out as a bakery and has morphed into a coffeehouse serving lunch daily and breakfast Saturday mornings. All of its baked goods are free of eggs, soy, and nuts with dairy-free options. Special order one of their custom cakes, or pick up a beautifully decorated sugar cookie, cupcake, or take-and-bake cinnamon rolls. It also offers breads, such as sweet loaves, bread sticks, garlic knots, dinner rolls, cornbread, and biscuits.
- Good Karma Coffee House is the only dedicated gluten-free coffeehouse in metro Atlanta. All of its baked goods are free of dairy, soy, and nuts with vegan options. Its loaves of sweet breads, muffins, and biscuits are available daily. It serves breakfast and lunch weekly with special offerings on the weekend. The waffles and biscuit sandwiches are outstanding.
- Mama Bakes Safe Cakes, LLC serves baked goods that are free of eggs, dairy, and peanuts with vegan options. Cupcakes (regular and gourmet), and cakes offer flavor choices that normally contain dairy, like Dulche No Leche and Chocolate Caramel. Custom cakes, candy, candy bars, pizza, and more are also available.
- Piece of Cake carries gluten-free baked goods from Pure Knead (breads, cakes, cupcakes) and Frannie's Gluten Free (muffins).
- Sally's Gluten Free Bakery, with two locations (Sandy Springs and Alpharetta) to better serve customer demand, features baked goods that are free of soy with dairy-free options. Pick up a loaf of bread (sweet and savory), cookies, cupcakes, or muffins. It also offers take-and-bake pizzas daily and whole cakes by special order.
- The Dunwoody Bakery has a line of mixes that can be found exclusively at Sprouts Farmers Market, along with a selection of ] baked goods. Its retail store in Dunwoody accepts orders for custom cakes and offers cupcakes, muffins, cookies, bars, sweet breads, and more.
These wholesale bakeries don't have store fronts, but their product lines can be found on restaurant menus, in retail stores, and can be special ordered.
- Magnolia Manor Sweets. Name any baked good, sweet or savory, and the team at this bakery can make it happen free of dairy, soy, nuts, and eggs. They specialize in offering the unexpected, like king cake, Tiramisu, cream puffs, bialy bread, and more. Its hamburger and hot dogs can be found at restaurants, and its baked goods can be purchased at the Peachtree City Farmers Market and other locations in Peachtree City.
- Pure Knead's gluten-free bread products (buns and sandwich bread) can be found on the menu at a number of restaurants, including all Farm Burger locations and The Four Seasons, and at retails stores, like Kroger and The Mercantile. Its line of cakes and cupcakes can be found at Piece of Cake and The Cupcake People of Atlanta.