Chef Joey Zelinka has been running his nighttime Junk Food pop-up out of Joystick Gamebar since March, and now he's working on a separate lunch project. Babcia's Pierogies will launch on Tuesday, June 30. Some vital details:
- Babcia's will operate as a walk-up eatery out of the bar's backdoor. Walk behind Joystick's building, ring the bell, and place an order.
- The menu selection will change, but opening day will feature three options for the Polish stuffed dumplings: traditional potato, braised oxtail and potato, and seasonal vegetable. Sauces, including housemade sour cream, will be available.
- Cost will be $2 to $3 per pierogi, and Zelinka recommends three to four for an average lunch order.
- Hours will be Monday through Thursday from 12 p.m. to 2 p.m.
- All ingredients will be locally sourced.
- The first 100 customers on June 30 will receive two free pierogies.
Zelinka's pop-ups are the latest installment in Joystick's kitchen incubation program, which aims to help chefs hone their concept before opening a restaurant. The previous tenant in Joystick's kitchen, Illegal Food, is now a full-service restaurant in Virginia-Highland.