Roswell will say goodbye to a breakfast staple on Sunday, December 10 when The Public House located across the street from the town’s historic square will close its doors following brunch service.
The popular breakfast spot opened in 1976 as Peasant Restaurant and has taken on various dining identities over its 41 years in business. This includes the latest and last iteration as The Public House under the umbrella of breakfast and lunch chain J. Christopher’s.
The following note was posted on the door and on their Facebook page last Saturday alerting diners to the impending closure.
General manager David Wood alluded to possible changes to the building’s lease and/or ownership but would not go into further details only saying the closing was due to the owner having other plans for the building. The Public House does not have plans to relocate.
Fans took to the restaurant’s Facebook page to mourn the loss. The Public House is considered to be a restaurant institution by many of Roswell’s longtime residents. It is a favorite brunch destination for church-goers following Sunday services.
The building has been on the town square since 1854 where it began life as the commissary for workers in the Roswell cotton mills and was later a Union hospital during the city’s occupation. The building has been the subject of many ghost stories including the forbidden romance between a Union soldier and a Southern nurse. He was killed by Confederate soldiers. Legend has it she hung herself in grief directly across the street from the building on the town square.
- Roswell dining coverage [EATL]