With less than a month to go before the start of 2023, December means announcing this year’s winners of the Eater Awards and Eater’s 15 Best New Restaurants in America, covering all of the latest restaurant holiday happenings, and reporting on the continued rush to open restaurants before the end of 2022. Sadly, December also often brings news of many restaurant closures.
It was another busy food news week in Atlanta. Catch up on the latest Atlanta restaurant and dining news from the week below. Cheers to the weekend, y’all!
The five biggest stories of the week
- The week kicked off with the opening of Atlanta’s very first zero-proof bottle shop in Poncey-Highland, from the owners of Elemental Spirits Co. The Zero Co. carries over 300 non-alcoholic spirits, wines, beer, and canned beverages and will eventually offer tastings and other drink events, including zero-proof pop-up bars.
- A much-anticipated opening took place in Virginia-Highland, when Dad’s bar and restaurant debuted in the former Diesel Filling Space. Dad’s dials up the nostalgia on the food and cocktail menu and in its design.
- Sadly, restaurant closures continued to dominate the news, including Adele’s on Edgewood Avenue, which closed there after only nine months.
- In more positive news, the owners of Kimball House just completed the purchase of the historic building housing the award-winning restaurant in Decatur.
- Bars are finally roaring back to life in Atlanta, as evidenced by all of the new bars opening around town. This includes Ranger Station, a dark and cozy cocktail lounge hidden above Ladybird on the Eastside Beltline trail.
Atlanta wine trends
This deep dive into a mini trend emerging in Atlanta delves into the city’s lack of true wine bars and how wine tastings and flights offered at wine shops are driving Atlanta’s wine scene forward.
New or updated maps and guides for December 12 - December 16
Tell us what you think
Want to shoutout your favorite Atlanta restaurant this year, best meal, or most exciting dining experience of 2022? Take the survey below. We’ll be sharing responses during our annual Year in Eater review coverage throughout the week of December 26.